Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Evoultion of Drawing Charcteristics

During one of our drawing classes I couldn't help but think about the transitions that my drawing has gone through throughout the years. A part of me couldn't help but laugh to think that outlining was such a no-no and previous to this class that was the primary means of drawing a person. Upon further reflection I began to think that even before outlines a lot of kids drew stick figures. Stick figures remotely representing the core frame that we're trying to learn with the exception of the pelvis and rib cage. It got me thinking that perhaps we were doing more unlearning in this course than learning. And that's all well and fine I definitely have improved as a result but I found it funny to think that stick figures had more to do with an accurate foundation than the "outlines" I had been drawing since. It makes perfect sense you need to understand the structure beneath before you can cover it, other wise people often looked like flat balloons that only existed in cartoons and my drawings. Also assuming I had been more interested in drawing at a younger age or had a teacher that was, could it be possible to suggest a simplified version of a skeleton (arms, legs, pelvis, rib cage and basic skull) to kids or middle schoolers?  Perhaps a more basic form could be taught and then the whole outline issue could be skipped or prevented.  Not that outlining doesn’t have its merits but it doesn’t create a sense of depth. Similarly could brief contour line studies also help younger drawers see their subject more clearly? Either way I’m genuinely glad that I have been shown the light per say, although it does still pain me to look back at the drawing from previous courses and still try and justify those lines as human figures.


No comments:

Post a Comment