Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Smelly Feet




For some reason unbeknownst to me I found that I had a natural affinity for drawing feet. Initially I was afraid that they would be like hands, which I find impossible to draw correctly. I assumed the wrist would be equivalent to the ankle and the toes to the fingers. Feet thankfully, are quite a bit simpler due to the ankle be more limited in its mobility and the toes being stubby. The toes really do make the difference though, as fingers often tend to become sausage fingers and are infinitely too fat and flat. Also another thing that I think greatly benefited me was my distance to the model. During this class period I was fortunate enough to snag a drawing horse and had a front row seat. To be honest I wish I was able to always sit closer to the model because it just makes observation and reproduction so much easier. It eliminates a lot of the guesswork in transition areas where it's hard to tell how each surface interacts with one another. Although most of my foot drawings turned out well, one in particular really caught my eye. For some reason despite it being only a foot it is definitely one of my favorite sketches. I think because I was able to draw feet so easily it let me play with the line quality a lot more because I was so worried about being dead on accurate. I missed the class period where we went over hands so I really never got a good chance to compare the two of them. After drawing feet however I feel like drawing the hand may not pose such a daunting problem as I once thought it did. Either way I can say that I’m really happy with the way all of my feet sketches turned out.

1 comment:

  1. After seeing your earlier drawings last night, to what you've got going on here-you definitely improved a ton! When did it happen? Cause I'm still boggled as to when that all went down... anyways! I think your feet drawings are extremely accurate and well done, I like them a lot!

    ReplyDelete