Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shells sllehS

Shell 3

Shell 2
With the start of the semester we were introduced to our new would-be companions, our shells. In an attempt to become more familiar with mine, as previously posted he was a he and his name was Ned. One of the first posts had a picture taken of my relatively unsuccessful shell drawing. Ned being one of the more intricate shells was visually flattened by my lack of skill. As routinely instructed not to outline the shell I did just that and managed to pancake every edge. The tines on the side of Ned would continue to be a struggle for me due to their obnoxious angle to the viewing plane. The second shell drawing went significantly better but was at best average. I was finally able to lift it off of the page a bit and give it a sense of depth but the perspective was still obviously wrong for parts not to mention all of his tines look like sheets of paper instead of semi-round. This seemingly futile battle would rage on with the semester weighing down heavily upon me. After having a few conversations about perspective and through critiques I knew I really need to clamp down on making it look 3D. Amy suggested to take a few artistic liberties and manipulate the tines so they were not directly pointing at or away from the viewing plane. That would help the stupid foreshortening problems I was having and accurately display the shell. Finally the 3rd shell was upon us at perhaps at chance at salvation or redemption for my previous shells. I spent more time trying to lay this one out in hopes of creating some real depth but my efforts were in vain as I hastily put too much ink on the paper. The ink represented a new problem, dealing with gravity and layering. I found that despite wanting to quickly establish a background for my shell it worked better on my last one to slowly add up the pigment until it's as dark as you need it instead of rushing in head first.

No comments:

Post a Comment